Knights take sixth at Wartburg with top finishers

The Carleton College women’s track and field team headed south to compete at the Wartburg College Indoor Select meet. In addition to the Knights, the field includes some of the top teams in the nation, including No. 1 UW-La Crosse, No. 6 Wartburg, and No. 11 UW-Platteville as well as MIAC power University of St. Thomas. Carleton finished sixth out of eight teams.

UW-La Crosse won the team competition by nearly eighty points. Wartburg edged St. Thomas for second by a single point, 151.86- 150.86. Central (Iowa) College was next at 57 points with UW-Platteville slipping past Carleton, 49.70- 49.50 for fifth place

Ruth Steinke (Jr./Lima, N.Y./ Honeoye Falls-Lima) was the lone event winner for Carleton. She bested a fast 35-racer field with a time of 5:00.83, which ranks second all-time at Carleton. Nicole Nipper (So./Minnetonka, Minn./ Minnehaha Academy) was sixth overall with a time of 5:18.09.

Nipper also took third in the 1000-meter run, crossing the line at 3:07.35. Caroline Campbell (Jr./ Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional) placed sixth in the same event at 3:10.60.

Ellie Wilson (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville) placed fifth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:19.30, fastest by a Knight this season and sixth in program history.

Colette Celichowski (Sr./Shore- wood, Minn./Minnetonka) and Lindsey Chavez (Fy./Westmin- ster, Colo./Holy Family) ran to fifth-and sixth-place finishes in the 3000-meter run. Celichowski reached the line in 10:30.01 while

Chavez clocked a time of 10:44.91. In the field events, Damali Britton (Fy./Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista) tied for third in the long jump. Her first attempt of the day measured 5.17 meters (16’ 11.5”). She also placed fourth in the triple jump at 10.57 meters (34’ 8.25”). Amelia Campbell (Jr./Sturgeon Bay, Wis./Sturgeon Bay) made her season debut and took fifth in the shot put with a career-best distance of 11.35 meters (37’3”), which ranks fifth in team history.

Carleton hosts the Meet of the Hearts on Saturday, Feb. 14 at the Recreation Center. The Knights also compete on Friday.