Room Draw chatter begins

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 1">

Room draw numbers for the 2015-2016 school year went live Feb. 3 at midnight.

Chloe Bergstrand ’16 went to bed early that night, but was awoken by a friend’s phone call, demanding her to check her number.

She was number one.

“It was a stunning surprise,” she said. “You never expect to know [the person with] the top draw number, let alone be it,” she said.

Some students have their sights on the Northfield Option, which allows 65 to 75 seniors the option to live off-campus. But Bergstrand plans to draw a townhouse next year.

“I receive a large amount of financial aid and living off campus would not be economical for me,” she said.

Last year, number 1076 was the last person to be offered Northfield Option.

Keelin Davis ’16 has that number this year and says, “I’m not considering Northfield Option because I’d rather be closer to campus and my culinary skills are causing me to think that I should maybe stick to the meal plan.” She plans to draw a James Hall suite.

Erwin Swaray is the unlucky number 1525 in the senior class, although he will still draw before any other class year.

He says, “I’m not too upset about my number. I honestly thought that it was a big comical… what are the chances?” He hopes to live with friends next year in James Hall, but thinks Severance Hall is more likely.

David Goodell ’18 has number 3527, putting him in the bottom ten draw numbers for the freshman class. He is not fazed, however, and plans on applying to interest houses, and then “figuring it out from there.” He said, “I feel as though I’ve gained celebrity status, honestly.”