Seyferth breaks heptathalon record as Knights cruise at MSU Mankato Open

Colby Seyferth (Sr./Banks, Ore./Banks) broke the school record for the heptathlon to highlight a weekend of great performances for the Carleton College men’s indoor track and field team at the MSU Multi and Open host- ed by Minnesota State-Mankato. Seyferth finished second overall with 4,579 points, a figure that tops the MIAC and currently ranks seventh in the nation.

Seyferth’s pursuit of the heptathlon mark of 4,371 points established by C.J. Dale ’13 began on Friday with the 60-meter dash. Seyferth took third at 7.30, and he then cleared 1.86 meters in the high jump, a figure that currently ranks third in the conference. The Carleton senior leapt 6.08 meters in the long jump and concluded Friday with a heave of 11.87 meters in the shot put, top in the field.

Saturday’s portion of the multi-event competition began with the 60-meter hurdles, where Seyferth clocked a time of 9.33 seconds. While that was a little slower than his goal time, he made up some ground in the pole vault where he cleared 3.45 meters. The last event in the heptathlon was the 1,000-meter run, and Seyferth posted the top time in the field at 2:49.24. When the dust settled, he had eclipsed the previous record by more than 200 points.

Evan McNeil (Sr./Burnsville, Minn./Academy of Holy Angels) also had a strong showing in the heptathlon, finishing fourth this weekend with 4,156 points. This puts him third all-time at Carleton, and he currently sits in 15th nationally. He easily posted the top showing in the pole vault, clearing 4.35 meters (14’ 3.35”) to rank third in team history and second in the MIAC this season.

Saturday started with Seyferth breaking the school record and ended with him cheering his teammates to a first-place finish in the 4×400-meter relay.

Alexa Feeney (Fy./St. Charles, Ill./St. Charles North), Jerry Cook-Gallardo (Fy./Moscow, Ida- ho/Moscow), Arnaud Kpachavi (Sr./San Gregorio, Calif./Woodside Priory School), and Jack Percival (Jr./Newport Coast, Calif./ Sage Hill School) combined on a time of 3:24.37. That is the fastest time in the MIAC this season and ranks sixth nationally.

Donson Cook-Gallardo beat a strong field in the 1,000-meter run, reaching the line first with a MIAC-best time of 2:31.43 that also ranks him third in school history.

Jonah Barry (Jr./Madison, Wis./Madison West) finished second in the mile run with a time of 4:18.19 that is third in the conference this season. Hart Hornor (Jr./Seattle, Wash./Roosevelt) had a significant personal-best in the same race, placing sixth at 4:22.58 which is sixth in the MIAC.

Percival might have created a new event when he was forced to hurdle a pile of fallen runners to finish second in the 600-meter run. His time of 1:23.26 tops in the MIAC so far this season.

The Knights will step away from competition until Feb. 7 at the Wartburg (Iowa) Select.