Women’s Soccer

MOORHEAD, Minn. — The Knights (11- 4-4) have been in the MIAC Playoffs six times in the last nine seasons, and each trip to the conference tournament has seen Carleton play Concordia (13-3-3) at some point. This was the fourth time that these programs needed the shootout to send a team onto the next round of the postseason.

Just 11 days ago these teams played a regular-season contest on this same pitch, a match that also ended in a scoreless draw.

“What a fantastic run this season,” said Carleton head coach Jocelyn Keller. “We just could not finish in the 18 today. We had opportunities, and an early goal would have been a difference maker.”

Megan King saw her 20-yard shot graze the left post in the first half, and Madelaine Horn sent a set piece just high. Perhaps Carleton’s best chance to break the deadlock came late in regulation as Ava Lewis nearly finished a header, her shot deflecting off the wrong side of the crossbar in the 79th minute.

The Cobbers’ Emily Wendorff carried the ball toward the Carleton goal in a one-on–one situation, but Carleton goalkeeper Mikayla Coulombe came off her line, got big, and registered a huge save to keep the game scoreless. Less than 30 seconds later the Knights dodged another bullet when Elizabeth Robinson hit the post with a shot.

Today marked the final game for seniors Alexandra Guy (Sr./Denver, Colo./Denver School of the Arts), Courtney Jones (Sr./Westerville, Ohio/Westerville Central), Bailey Ulbricht (Sr./ Severna Park, Md./Severna Park), and Ellie Wilson (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville). That quartet went 37-25-11 and guided the Knights to a pair of MIAC Playoff appearances.

“As coaches, we could not be more proud of the women this season,” Keller said. “We had great senior leadership and a strong cohort that believed they could compete against any team. They did just that and having results against the top four teams in the conference is where we want to be. We will try to build on this momentum.