#Where Have the Cups Gone?

<lass="page section layoutArea" title="Page 1">

The dearth of reusable cups in the dining halls has led to widespread frustration–and the creation of a Twitter account: @Cupsandbananas, which offers updates and commentary on the number of cups and bananas present at various locations on campus.

The Twitter account has 363 followers and has received tweets from Bon Appetit’s Carleton Twitter account, @Carletondine, and Carleton College’s official Twitter account, @CarletonCollege.

Funded with $8,500 from the CSA and with the support of 79 percent of the 1,156 students who voted in spring elections, the reusable cup program has been plagued by the disappearance of cups.

The exact cause of the disappearance is not clear, but general consensus is that students are hoarding cups, forgetting to return them or are accidentally recycling them, according to Sarah Lukins ’15, who oversaw the creation of the cups program.

Carleton purchased 5,000 cups. Lukins and Bon Appetit staff declined to comment on the current state of the cups program.

With the reusable cups, Carleton uses between 4,000 and 6,000 fewer compostable cups each week, according to SOPE.

To solve the problems of the current cup disappearances, Lukins said a future program in which each student received a single cup might be more effective in “creating a culture of thoughtfulness on campus and making students more mindful of waste.”

As for the future of the Twitter account, nothing has been posted in a week and a request for comment received no reply. It is possible the Twitter account, not the program that inspired it, is defunct.