S. Carey Live From the Cave

<lass="page section layoutArea" title="Page 1">

KRLX: So you graduated from Eau Claire as a student of percussion, who were your influences then, what styles were you trying to mimic at that time?

SC: I was really into 20th century composers and minimalist composers like Steve Reich and Terry Reilly and Philip Glass. The first time I heard that music in college as a percussionist, I was like ‘Oh this is classical music from the 20th century’, like, it just really hit me on this emotional level that most other classical music didn’t. And they write a lot for percussion. I was really into that and trying to combine that with singer- songwriter aesthetic.

Carletonian: What about your music has evolved since you started? What have you maintained or tried to maintain?

SC: I think the aesthetic is still the same. We are trying to create beautiful, simple music that is described as pretty, or cinematic, or thought-provoking. I guess I try to remain unpretentious and ongoing with the times. And I’m just trying to make this music that reflects who I am as a person and the types of things that are important to me. And even where we live, in the Midwest, the small town rural life. I think that’s kind of stayed at the core of it, and the songs all have that it them.

Carletonian: How has the tour been going?

SC: It’s good. We’ve been on the road since April, on and off, and we’re coming along to a break here. We’ll just be hanging out now most of the winter, just chilling out, and then we start playing some shows again next spring. So this is basically the last show of the year for us. I think we might be playing in Minneapolis in December. This is the end of the chapter this year, I guess.

Carletonian: What advice would you give to Carleton students who are looking to pursue musical interests?

SC: I think it’s important to balance out; have your heroes. Whether it’s music, or philosophy, or whatever, have that, but then have your own path that you’re going on at the same time, that’s your own direction and your own voice. I think that’s a big thing for anyone, really; music especially. We’re all playing from years and years of listening to other music, so I think it’s important to have your people who you look up to, whether its song writers or musicians or composers or whatever. Study them, study what makes them great, then start creating your own thing.

Note: Interview done in tandem with KRLX