Students Get Creative to Stay in Shape During the Cold

<: people are sick of the cold and sick with the flu; it is a time of negative temperatures and negative attitudes.

“In fall term, I was always outside,” said Tiffany Thet. “Now it’s about staying in to do homework. I only go out for dinner and to go to meetings. It can get really isolating.” Lots of Carleton students struggle with the weather, but few notice the perpetual cold as much as Thet, who comes from tropical Burma. “The coldest it gets in Burma is like 50 degrees,” she said.

Sitting next to Thet in Sayles was Freshman Waychen Yao, who added, “I’m from Canada and I’m still shocked by the cold.” Yet Thet and Yao have found a way to face the brutal wind chill. “You can feel a lot better if you walk with friends. It takes the edge off,” Thet said.

Carleton offers a wide range of resources for students to maintain their physical, mental, and spiritual health. The rec center has a program called “mind body and spirit,” which comprises a wide array of classes that include zumba and yoga.

Sophomore Jenny Zhang is very enthusiastic about the yoga and the zumba class in which she currently participates. The best part of zumba, she said, is “the music really puts me in a happy mood, and it is worth going to the rec for.” The hardest part in yoga is keeping her balance while holding a position that requires a lot of core strength.

Starting now, students in the program can even explore Indian Classical dance. The class is taught by Carleton senior Swathi Varanasi. Students can learn this ancient South Indian dance and participate in choreographed pieces in a stress free environment.  

The Rec center also has a program called the “Ready Set Sweat Winter Term Fitness Challenge” for students with fitness-related New Years resolutions. For 65 days this program will help motivate them to be active during the cold of winter. There are also Rec center special events such as the Frisbee Hat Tournament, which is on Saturday Jan. 25 from 10-5pm and followed by 4-square on Sunday Jan.26 from 10am to 2pm.  Don’t miss this opportunity to compete for prizes.

In the Health arena, the SHAC now offers a free online transportation voucher for non-emergency appointments with the doctor in town. Natalie Johnson, a medical services coordinator, gives essential advice to students who are concerned with stress. “If you feel overwhelmed by worries about school and your social life, there is a resilience workshop at Willis every Tuesday during common time that focuses on stress management,” she said.