New Food Businesses in Northfield Promise to Draw Students with Their Variety

<res have been popping up all around Northfield recently. Here is your guide to the newest store fronts.

Cake Walk, a pastry shop located at 303 Division Street, just opened this fall. It specializes in cupcakes, but serves a wide variety of freshly-baked pastries of all kinds.

The store’s owners, Teara Myers and Jody Breathwaite,  became acquainted while working at Lund’s and Byerly’s, a pastry shop and grocery store chain throughout Minnesota, and after being trained as pastry chefs there for several years, decided to come to Northfield to start their own business.

The duo decided that Northfield would be an ideal place to open as they both like the small, walking community it offers. In addition, while working at Lund’s and Byerly’s, they learned that many towns and community around Northfield had to go to the Twin Cities in order to find wedding cakes; a market they hope to fill. 

So far they have been impressed by the positive feedback they’ve received from both students and residents of the Northfield area.

Opened by Terry Gutowski on March 28, Gooters specializes as a “Dough-to-go” bakery. Hand-tossed pizzas, cookie dough, and a medley of other goods are all ready-made for customers to take home and bake themselves. Gooters doubles as an ice-cream shop, and sells a wide range of desserts from candy and cookies, cakes, as well as an extensive selection of gluten-free products.

Located in the strip mall next to the Subway and Menard’s, Gutowski chose Dundas because he felt that the family oriented community nearby would appreciate Gooters and its business model. He hopes that Gooters cater to this market with a family friendly atmosphere.

Part of the rapidly spreading frozen yogurt craze, Cherry Berry, located on 400 West 5th Street, Suite B, opened on September 21st.

Frozen Yogurt has become increasingly popular over the past few years, and Cherry Berry follows the business model that has become universal amongst most yogurt shops. Rather than charging per scoop or cup, Cherry Berry offers serve-yourself machine and a topping bar, and charges orders by weight after.

So far, most of Cherry Berry’s business has been Northfield locals, though increasingly they are seeing students from St. Olaf and Carleton. The store hopes to offer an area for students to come hang out as well.

Opening in February 2013, Tandem Bagels will be filling the sorely missed hole that was created when Bagel Bros closed in 2002; Tandem Bagels is owned and operated by former Bagel Bros. co-owner, Tony Frantz and his wife Anne.

While traveling, they had noticed that bagel shops they had visited had been particularly popular, and so started up the first Tandem Bagels in Mankato. Recently, they decided to expand again, and chose Northfield because of the familiarity and college campuses nearby.

In addition, Tandem Bagel intends to focus on being green.  According to Tandem Bagels’s website, “Our menu will delight your senses with recipes using fresh, seasonal, local and organic ingredients. Our mission is two-fold: to make quality, soulful food in an inviting setting, and to leave a small carbon footprint through eco-friendly serving materials, high efficiency lighting, and bike racks for those who leave the car behind.”