Klontz Honored on CoSIDA Academic All-District Team

<rleton College swimmer Erik Klontz ‘13 was voted to the Capital One Academic All-District At-Large Team as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). The award honors the nation’s top student-athletes for their combined performance in competition and in the classroom.

Klontz has a 3.81 cumulative GPA as a chemistry major with a biochemistry concentration. He is one of five student-athletes from MIAC schools and 12 total athletes to earn a spot on the team for the NCAA Division III’s District 6, encompassing schools in Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

This award follows a pair of impressive performances for Klontz at his first-ever trip to the NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships.

He placed eighth in the 50-yard freestyle to secure All-America distinction then added a 10th-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle to earn All-America Honorable Mention.

This is the fourth time in the last five years that a member of the men’s swimming and diving program at Carleton received the Academic All-District award.

The Capital One Academic All-District team is part of the Capital One Academic All-America program, which annually honors over 1600 student-athletes who have succeeded at the highest level on the playing field and in the classroom.

Eligible sports for men’s at-large consideration include fencing, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, rifle, skiing, swimming, tennis, volleyball, water polo and wrestling.

To be eligible, a student-athlete must be a varsity starter or key reserve, maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.30 on a scale of 4.00, have reached sophomore athletic and academic standings at his current institution and be nominated by his sports information director.