CSA Elections Showcase Enthusiastic Candidates

<rleton Student Association (CSA) heltd its annual spring debate and elections. Elections are held each winter and spring for student representatives.

Competition was tough this year, with twenty-one students running for thirteen available openings.

Many candidates lost by as few as twenty votes.

“Candidates were required to have students sign a petition to run for a position which required at least five signatures from each class.  Candidates were then required to write a platform where they were encouraged to offer a summary of their qualifications, experience, and goals for making a difference on CSA,” Matt Weinstein ‘14, a senator, said.

Thirteen liaison positions were available this term: Civic Engagement Liaison, two College Council Liaisons, two Community, Equity and Engagement Liaisions, an Admissions and Financial Aid Liaison, a Student Life Liaison, an Education Liaison, an Environmental Committee Liaison, a TRiO/OIIL/GSC Liaison, a Sports Club Liaison, and two College Counselor at Large Liaisons.

“I look forward to continue organizing many events that serve to make this campus more welcoming, inclusive and productive,” said Robin Wonsley ’13, who won one of the Community, Equity, and Diversity Initiative Liaison positions. “I hope to prompt dialogue about the state of diversity on campus, and increase the visibility of marginalized students and voices on campus.”

Weinstein hopes to see a “more sane CSA budget (process) this year.”

Students in the Senate are responsible for attending meetings, keeping up to date on recent campus events, and voicing the needs of their fellow students. 

The CSA typically has a budget of approximately $500,000 to allocate to student organizations, according to the
Senate’s website.

Full election results have been posted on the CSA website.