Men Seek to Improve on Last Year’s Ninth Place MIAC Finish

< earning four top ten finishes in the MIAC decathlon, the Carleton men’s track and field team heads to the MIAC Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, eager to improve on its ninth place finish a year ago. The key to the team’s success will be strong performances from a number of young Knights.

Marcus Huderle ‘14 will be one of the primary Carleton runners to watch. He has had a stellar sophomore season and is currently ranked in the top ten in the MIAC in the 5,000-meter run as well as the steeplechase. His season-best time in the steeplechase (9:15.55) is the fastest in the MIAC since 2008, and places him at No. 17 across all Division-III runners.

Three rookies will accompany Huderle in the 4×400-meter relay. Noah Laack-Veeder, Colby Seyferth, and Arnaud Kpachavi finished 11th out of 21 entries in the Drake Relays earlier this season, and the quartet will look to put together a strong performance at the conference meet.

First-years will be key in other events, too. Garo Anguiano-Sanz has the 10th-fastest 200-meter dash time, Isaac Schrantz holds the seventh best 400-meter time, and Laack-Veeder has raced the fourth-fastest 800-meter figure. His 1:52.38 time ranks 17th in the nation, second among first-year racers, and he also has a chance to score in the 1500-meter run.

In the long distance runs, Carleton will be led by junior Bobby Davis and sophomore Guthrie Cunningham who hold the eighth- and ninth-best 10,000-meter run times, respectively.

After turning in a personal record at the Drake Alternative, Adrian Carpenter ‘14 looks to score points in the 110-meter hurdles. He was second in the 60-meter hurdles at this year’s conference indoor meet.

The trio of Dylan Cheever ‘13, Lobo James ‘14, and newcomer Chris Williams ‘15 will compete in the high jump with Cheever and James holding the eighth- and ninth-best jumps in the conference.

C.J. Dale ‘13 will round out the jumpers and will also compete in the triple-jump and long jump. Dale currently has the fifth-longest jump in the MIAC this season.

Senior Robert Wakely looks to finish off his career with a strong performance in the javelin. His throw of 48.97 meters is the sixth-furthest in the MIAC this season.

Seyferth, Cheever, Dale, and Evan McNeil ‘15 have already competed in the MIAC decathlon with Dale and Cheever earning All-MIAC honorable mention status finishing fourth and sixth respectively. Dale’s placement was the best by a Knight since Steve Burch finished third in 1990.