Carls and Oles Join for Relay for Life

<nnual Relay for Life was held last Saturday at St. Olaf. Sponsored by the American Cancer Society, Relay for Life raises money for patients with cancer and directs funds to researchers working on treatment.

Students Kelly Kapsar ‘14, Adrienne Bruder ‘14 and Cassandra Iroz ‘14 organized the Carleton participation.
“We went last year, and there were only four of us,” the group said. “We thought more people would want to participate.”

As a result of poor weather this year, the event was held inside, at St. Olaf’s Tostrud Center. Participants formed teams and walked around the track for at least 12 hours. Some walked all night long. Each team had to ensure that at least one member was walking the entire time.

Carleton had a much higher turnout this year, with about 30 Carls devoting their Saturday of Mid-term break to join the cause.

“It’s a really meaningful way to get together and celebrate,” Kapsar said. “A lot of people have been touched by cancer, and this event is a great way to raise money for the American Cancer Society.”

There were several games held throughout the day that also served as fundraisers. Participants got the chance to suit up and fight it out in a sumo wrestling competition. There was also a frozen tee-shirt contest and live music. Several bands from St. Olaf and the Northfield community and Carleton’s own Exit 69 entertained the walkers.
Throughout the day, participants were reminded of the cost cancer has had on so many lives. Cancer survivors and their families were also there walking, and the opening ceremony featured a speech by cancer survivor and St. Olaf basketball coach Dan Kosmoski.

“This event is a good way to help people with cancer and to remember those we’ve lost,” Kapsar and Bruder said.
“It’s a really great cause and opportunity to give back and make a difference,” said participant Carolyn Raithel ’15. “For sure worth giving up a Saturday for.”