‘Goals with Soul’

< add another spring term event to the Lagniappe.

Goals with Soul, a soccer fundraiser and low-pressure tournament, will take place at Carleton on Saturday of sixth weekend in order to raise money for two non-profit organizations that support women’s and youth empowerment in low-opportunity areas.

“It’s a nice way to go out there and do something you feel good about,” said Sarah Ferrari ’13, co-organizer of the event.

The fundraiser, which will occur on Bell Field between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m., will include a 3 v. 3 soccer tournament open to all, a bake sale, live music and an information tent about the two organizations. Teams of three to five players can register to play in either a more or less competitive bracket.

“We’re trying to get people to come out even if they’re terrified of playing soccer,” Ferrari said.

The fundraiser, co-sponsored by Carleton’s Women’s Awareness House, is open to all Carleton students, staff, faculty and alumni. Andrea Simenstad ’13 plans to play in the tournament’s less competitive recreational bracket, and she hopes to organize a team with themed costumes.

“The last time I played soccer was in high school,” she said. “I’ll probably make a few mistakes.  I’m definitely willing to go in with some good humor.”

All proceeds from the fundraiser will go to Soccer Without Borders, an organization that works to bring positive change to impoverished communities around the world through soccer, and Supporting Opportunities for Ugandans to Learn (SOUL), which focuses on education and women’s empowerment in Uganda. 

“Their mission is to use soccer as a tool, as a vehicle, to help empower youth,” said co-organizer Megan Morrison ’13. “It’s not so much teaching soccer, as using soccer as a language to connect with people.”

The organizers plan to expand the event next year to include St. Olaf, Northfield High School and Northfield community members.  They  say Goals with Soul will become a tradition that will take place each spring term in the future.

“I’ve dreamed about doing a 3 v. 3 soccer tournament since high school,” Morrison said.  “I’ m really, really, really excited about it.”

The organizers encourage all Carleton community members to participate, regardless of previous soccer experience. 

“If you don’t want to get involved playing soccer, come by to support friends and enjoy,” Morrison said.

There is an entry fee of $10 per player.  To register, send player names, team name and bracket preference to [email protected] by May 2. There is limited space available.