Spring break: time for adventures

<ugh spring break is a few days shorter this year, due to winter term’s late start, it’s not keeping Carls from planning adventures during their time off. From road trips to exotic vacations to just relaxing at home, Carls anticipate enjoying a much-deserved break from classes.

Road trip
Taylor Ffitch ‘12 is road tripping to the American Southwest with five other Carleton friends. Target states are New Mexico and Arizona, but as with most road trips, spontaneity is the driving force.

“We have scoped out a few national parks that look like good places to camp in and explore, and of course we’ll be making a stop at the Grand Canyon,” said Ffitch.

They plan to travel light, cook over a camp stove and sleep in tents along the way.

“It’s a great group of people. We’re all pretty easygoing,” she said. “As a senior it feels like a fun way to go into my final term at Carleton.”

Networking Excursion

Andrew Harvey ‘15 is also heading on a trip with several fellow Carls. As part of the Career Center’s Scholars Program, Harvey and 11 other students, selected from a pool of 40 applicants, will be participating in a four-day trip to New York to tour the journalism, media and publishing industries.

The students will be staying with alumni hosts in the city. Their days are packed full of meetings with representatives from The New York Times, Focus Features, MSNBC and Vogue, to name a few.

“I’m so excited for New York,” Harvey said. “It’s a really great opportunity for Carleton students to network and learn more about the industry.”

Cancun!

While Mexico may be a cliché spring break destination for the general population, warm weather and sandy beaches never fail to instill a twinge of jealousy even in some quirky Carls.

Emily Ager ‘13 is traveling with friends Maddy Epping ‘13 and Madeleine Koski ‘13 to a tiny village called Akumal, an hour South of Cancun. The girls will be staying at a condo rented by Ager’s family.

“We’ll be staying beachside and will most likely spend the whole week sleeping, snorkeling and maybe making margaritas somewhere in between,” Ager said.

Of course, there’s always a Carleton connection wherever you go: “We also might make a stop at biochemistry professor John Tymoczko’s nearby condo.”

Home Sweet Home

If you’re simply heading home for the break, you’re in good company. Marcus Huderle ‘14 lives about an hour north of Carleton in Eden Prairie, Minn.

He doesn’t live in just any ordinary suburb of the Twin Cities, though. Ranked number 1 by Money Magazine in 2010 as the best place to live, Eden Prairie boasts 125 miles of running trails. This is ideal for Huderle, a varsity track and field athlete.
“I literally have no plans,” he said. “I’ll probably just go running and sit around.”

Cooper Buss ‘13 is also excited to head home to Minneapolis. He will get to spend time with his two new little brothers adopted from China before attending a Christian conference on future grace at Bethel and Baptist. The first Saturday of break, Buss plans to road trip to Chicago with roommates Yasin Dara ‘13 and Dan Sairsingh ‘13 to visit the fourth roommate of their quad, Tom Birren ‘13, who will have just arrived home after his study abroad trip to New Zealand.

For those staying in Minnesota over the break, Buss recommends going to Uptown and hitting up its fun, eclectic restaurants.
“Go to the Dakota to see a jazz show or go see the Minnesota orchestra,” he said.

Spring break officially starts Thursday, March 15. Classes resume on Monday, March 26.