Women’s track and field hosts St. Benedict’s

<st Friday night, the St. Benedict’s track and field team flocked to Northfield to see the Carleton men’s team looking classy. While they were down, they figured they might as well compete against a few of the Knights. With John Davis ’11 narrating the proceedings, it was a resounding success.

Carleton kicked the night off with the 4 x 200m relay. It’s really fun to watch people run fast, especially when you know them and they win. The relay dipped under the 1:50 mark to put them at second on the conference performance list.

Megan Erlandson ’12, one of the members of that relay, went on to win the pole vault and be the third member of a Carleton sweep of the 1000m run. Kaitlin Randolph ’12 and Colette Celichowski ’15 took the top two spots, duking it out the entire way until Randolph demonstrated why she has often been termed a sprinter.

Randolph’s buddy Haley Johnson ’13 did the same to Sarah Trautman ’13 in the 800m, showing off her long sprinter legs and powerful driving arms. However, not even Johnson could match the performance put on by Ellie Wilson ’15 in the 200 meter dash.

She dominated the event, running a lap in 26.62 seconds and besting her nearest competitor by half a second. That’s fast on a 400 meter track, let alone one with two sharp turns.

In the long distance events, Carleton swept the mile, with Alison Smyth ’12 appreciating the Bennies’ efforts and Taylor ffitch ’12 being amused by them. Laura Roach ’10 snuck between the two to prove that you can be fast while in graduate school.

Aurora Janes ’15 tried out the 3000m after running both the distance and sprinter workouts during the week, and still managed to run close to six- minute miles, placing third.

As many of these fine ladies warmed up for the 4 x 400, they observed Kao Sutton ’14 and Avery Johnson ’15 doing some sprint drills of their own. While disappointed that Sutton and Johnson were not on the relay, the two put on quite a show in the shot, placing second and fourth respectively with season best throws.
The meet was a resounding success, both for the women who competed and the men who facilitated the competition. We thank them for their efforts (and the roses). Next up for the thinclads of both genders will be Grinnell. Iowa better be ready.