Carls host sweet 129th birthday party for legend Dacie Moses

<st Sunday marked Dacie Moses’ 129th birthday. Dozens of people gathered at Dacie Moses house, Carleton’s “cookie house,” to celebrate with sweet treats.

In her welcome speech, the Dacie Moses House coordinator Julia Swanson shared Dacie’s goal to create a space that would bring the people of the community together. The success of that goal was evident.
“There was no floor space—it was so crowded,” said Alex Long ’13, who was in attendance.

Anna Callahan ’13, a student resident of Dacie Moses, noted the variety of people that had gathered to celebrate Dacie’s birthday. The group was of a blend of Carleton students, Dacie Moses board members, professors and their children and members of the Northfield community.

“It’s an event that brings eclectic people together and really speaks to what Dacie Moses wanted the house to be for,” Callahan said. “The house is supposed to be a link between Carleton and the Northfield and St. Olaf communities.”

Appropriate to the theme of the house, there was an abundant offering of baked goods for everybody, including pumpkin, honey nut and banana bread, as well as Swedish tea rings, craisin chocolate chip scones, banana muffins and, of course, a birthday cake. The Knightingales and the Singing Knights entertained the crowd throughout the brunch and sang a mixture of hymnals and pop songs. House coordinator Swanson also performed a drum song. Everyone joined in to sing Happy Birthday for Dacie.

Summing up the sweet event, Long remarked, “I think it’s really cute that people still celebrate her birthday. Isn’t that what you would want? For people to celebrate your birthday even after you’re gone?”