Carleton rewarded four stars for fiscal health and transparency

<ite the dreary economic times, Carleton continues to weather the storm.

For the second consecutive year, the College has been rewarded four out of four stars by Charity Navigator, a group that evaluates charity organizations based on standards of financial health, accountability and transparency.

“In this competitive marketplace, Charity Navigator, America’s premier charity evaluator, highlights the fine work of efficient, ethical and open charities,” said president and CEO Ken Berger in a statement on Charity Navigator’s website. “Our goal in all of this is to provide donors with essential information needed to give them greater confidence in the charitable choices they make.”

This year, Carleton was among only six national liberal arts colleges to receive a four-star rating from Charity Navigator. Others colleges included Davidson College, Oberlin College and St. Olaf College.

According to Charity Navigator’s rating report on Carleton, the College has shown financial growth throughout the past year and has provided readily accessible information about its financial policies on its website and IRS Form 990. 

Carleton is one of only 12 percent of charities to receive four-star ratings for the past two consecutive years.

Although the College’s four-star rating has remained the same both years, Carleton’s specific scores on accountability and responsibility performance and financial performance both increased from the previous year.