Head football coach Ramler resigns

<rleton community has received surprising news about the Knight’s football department. Last week, Carleton’s head football coach, Kurt Ramler, turned in his letter of resignation.

Ramler, who led the Knights for the last six years, compiled a 22-38 record, including a 7-3 season in 2008. The former MIAC Coach of the Year left the program to pursue other opportunities.

“When it comes to the coaching profession, you’re never surprised by any sudden changes,” said athletic director Gerald Young.

In a statement released by the athletic department, Ramler thanked both past and present players for the opportunity to coach.

“We had some great moments and I believe that the program progressed- and we’ve ‘left it better than we found it,’ so to speak,” he said.

In addition to coaching the football team at Carleton, Ramler was a professor of physical education, athletics and recreation (PEAR), teaching classes that included 3-on-3 basketball and table tennis.  Those classes will now be taught by members of the PEAR department.

Carleton has named Bob Pagel, the defensive coordinator during the 2011 season, as the interim head coach for the 2012 season while the athletic department searches for a replacement.  Pagel will be the 17th football coach in Carleton’s history.

“We are extremely pleased that Bob has agreed to serve as interim head coach for the 2012 season,” Young said in a statement released by the College. “His leadership, knowledge, and familiarity with Carleton ensures program stability, and we’re looking forward to a successful 2012 fall campaign.”

Pagel, who finished his seventh season on the staff this fall, was the recruiting coordinator and defensive backs coach at the University of Minnesota-Duluth prior to joining the staff at Carleton this year.

However, the transition has not gone over so smoothly with others. Members of the football team were taken aback by the announcement. 

“When he gave us the news, there was dead silence in the room” said offensive linemen Pete McNeely ’13.
“It was shocking to everybody.”