Kegs or not, drink responsibly

<mpus was thrown into a frenzy last week in the wake of an abrupt e-mail announcing new changes to the alcohol and smoking policy. Students quickly began to worry that the anti-keg and anti-drinking game rules would threaten Carleton social life, traditions, and most importantly, Carleton culture in general.

Now might be the time to take a deep breath.

During our conversations with the Dean of Students Office, Res Life, Security, and Student Activities this past week, we saw that the administration is definitely not out to stop drinking on campus.

Dean of Students Hudlin Wagner was very clear: “Our goal is not to throw parties off campus.”

The major takeaway from the whole episode is this: whether you agree with the changes or not, the more rigid alcohol policy shouldn’t put our community’s safety at risk. Continue partying, continue having fun, but don’t let the stricter rules deter you from calling security if you find yourself in a dangerous situation.

Let’s not let these policy changes affect our campus culture either. Carleton students care too much about our traditions to let a couple new rules to compromise the things that make our campus special.

The administration might not have treated the issue as sensitively as we would have liked with their out-of-the-blue announcement, but that doesn’t mean we have to react irresponsibly. We are all members of this community, so let’s make it a fun and safe place to live.