Moodle and Zimbra receive sleek new upgrades

<odle and Zimbra, two mainstays of Carleton technology, underwent a major facelift this past summer.

According to the update information on Carlpedia, Moodle’s new features include the ability to visually reorganize the page by dragging and dropping sidebars, as well as featuring new icons and iPad compatibility.

However, the greatest change students will notice is the new look of the site, which does wonders to remedy Moodle’s decidedly 1995-esque aesthetic.

The tweaking of Zimbra has the potential to be the more influential change for Carls. While the developers have, thankfully, preserved the option to ironically set Zimbra to the “HOTROD” setting, there are also some rather handy new features on Zimbra 7.0.  Now, when composing e-mails, the stalkernet photo affiliated with a given e-mail address can be viewed; this improvement is sure to garner the praise of people with extremely common last names.

The new version of Zimbra also allows users to view the individuals within a distribution list, and claims to make recovering deleted items much easier. Additionally, Zimbra 7.0 allows users to specify the date and time of an e-mail. This service’s only apparent purpose is to allow students to appear more responsible by turning in their essays at a reasonable time, even while composting the e-mail and “sending” it at 4:52 AM.

The updates preserve Zimlets (Zim-whats?) and Zimbra Calendar Scheduling Wizard. However, since these features are potentially the least used feature by Carleton students, the real news would be if anyone noticed.

Despite these changes, we have heard no word on why the anachronistic internet zombie, the Hub, has yet to be updated.