Women’s Track set for MIACs after Ole Qualifier

<st Friday the women’s track team wrapped up its regular indoor season last Friday with the St. Olaf Qualifier. The Knights saw strong performances, which will take them into the MIAC Indoor Championships that began last night with the pentathlon.

Another school record fell on Friday, as Megan Erlandson ’12 vaulted 3.34 meters to take second in the pole vault. It is notable that she did not miss at any earlier height. Also reaching tall heights that evening was Kyla Walter ’11, taking third in the high jump.

The Knights’ other third place finish was recorded by Kaitlin Randolph ’12, running a 1:41 in the 600m dash. Haley Johnson ’13 also ran in the event, finishing a mere second and a half behind Randolph. Unfortunately, this tremendous duo will be going abroad this spring, doing wonderful CAMS things in Europe. While they’re here, however, they intend to show us everything they’ve got and are doing a fine job of it heading into the conference meet.

In the slightly longer and slightly less painful 800m, Alex Dunn ’11 once again showed her ability as a long sprinter, bringing her time from just one week previous down three seconds to take fourth in the event. Equally impressive was Sami Kemper ’14 in the same race, running a 2:31 despite having battled a bacterial infection earlier in the month. Kemper was also able to return to her signature event, the triple jump, to the excitement of many.

Another athlete returning to competition at this meet was Elissa Walter ’13, managing to shot put her indoor best after recovering from injury. Kelly Lovett ’11 also had an impressive day in the shot, throwing 37’ 5”. Kemper and Kelly Soderstrom ’11 also improved their bests in the event on Friday.

Another athlete who improved her best time was Sarah Trautman ’13, taking fifth in the 1000m run by dipping under the 3:10 mark. Also in the 1000, Laura Newcombe ’13 met her goal of dropping under 4:00, an excellent goal to hit. In the mile, Taylor Ffitch ’12 hopped on the end of a train and stayed there to take fourth in 5:19, 10 seconds faster than her time from earlier in the season. Another impressive miler at this meet was Rachel Kittaka ’12, bettering her seed time by eight seconds.

These performances provide just a glimpse of what will come for the Knights at the MIAC Championships this weekend. They are being held at St. Thomas University beginning with the pent last not, most of the national events today, and MIAC favorites like the 600 yards tomorrow. Look to see some strong performances by the Knights, particularly in the long distance events, high jump, distance medley relay, pole vault and long sprints.

Alison Smyth is a member of the women’s track and field team.