Men’s track runs strong in Mankato

<st Friday and Saturday the Carleton men’s track team competed in its second meet of the season, the Minnesota State University Open, held in Mankato. Ty Martin ’11 headlined the meet for the Knights, trimming nearly half a second off the school record in the 60-meter hurdles. Martin cleared the hurdles and covered the distance in 8.50 seconds, breaking the record of 8.97 seconds that had stood since the previous millennium.

Adrian Carpenter ‘14 and Trey Brademan ’14 also ran the 60-meter hurdles in their first meet of the season. Carpenter celebrated his initiation into collegiate track and field by venturing out into the snow to eat lunch at both Chipotle and Jimmy John’s.

In the 3000 meters held Friday night, John Davis ‘11 finished second in 9:02, while his brother Bobby ‘13 took fourth in 9:11. Jacob Hoerger ’14 was the next to finish, clocking 9:14. These three Carls will be competing in Mankato again next weekend in the 5000 meters while the rest of the team takes the weekend off.

While an unusually large number of Carls were busy reading texts about Byzantine history at the meet, no one can deny that Dylan Cheever ‘13 had the busiest weekend of anyone on the team. Cheever took part in the heptathlon, recording personal bests in the shot put, long jump, and 60-meter dash, while competing in the pole vault for the first time. He saved the best for last, however, leaving the field behind to win the final event of the heptathlon, the 1000 meters.

C.J. Dale ‘13 eclipsed his personal best in the long jump, leaping 6.30 meters. Dale also ran 24.08 in the 200 meters to set another personal best. Josh Estes ‘14 ran the 200 meters in 24.91 in his first collegiate race.

Marcus Huderle ’14 gave an impressive showing in the mile, moving up throughout the race to finish in sixth place with a time of 4:30. Much to Huderle’s chagrin, the gash he received from a competitor’s spikes during the race did not require medical attention. Aaron Hirsh ‘13, Josh Campbell ’13, and Reid McMurry ‘13 ran in the second section of the mile and finished in the 4:40s. Hirsh crossed the line a few seconds before Campbell and McMurry, whose battle over the last quarter of the race entertained the rest of the team.

Martin ran the 400 meters in 52.42 to continue a great day, while Nick Herringer ’14 ran 54.07 to shave more than a second from his time last week. Propelled by a strong sense of team unity, Jordan Butler ’13, Michael Austin ’13, and Peter Franco ’14 ran within a quarter second of each other in the 400.

The 1000 meters was a whirlwind five lap race for Kian Flynn ’12, who ran a personal best of 2:42.

“It was just like hopping a train,” said an exhilarated Flynn, “Leap on board and hang on for dear life.” 

In the next heat, Brian Spisiak ’13 ran 2:48 in his first track race in three years and his first ever attempt at the 1000 meters. 

The 800 meters featured a duel between Famous Johnson ’12 and Michael Tolan ’14. Johnson’s late rush fell just short of toppling Tolan and both runners finished in 2:13. Sparks will surely fly when these two harriers meet again on the track.

Rather than competing this weekend, the men’s track team will be working and cheering on the women’s track team at their home meet against St. Benedict Friday night. A cold walk to the Rec Center will be well worth it to experience the fire these ladies will be lighting on the track (but don’t worry, fire extinguishers will be on hand). Plus, John Davis’ alter ego will be announcing, surely an event not to be missed. The men’s team will be back in action Saturday, February 12, when they host the Meet of the Hearts.

Colin Sinclair is a member of the men’s track and field team.