Women’s track looks good in intrasquad meet

<ack team got a first glimpse of its abilities last Friday night at the Carleton Singular. The intrasquad competition was quite successful, hinting at great things to come.

The most exciting thing about the meet was probably that the team has throwers this indoor season, as opposed to last winter. While the throwers did not compete, they did toss heavy objects around during the competition, setting the little distance runners on edge, but looking good in the process.

The short sprinters got on the track first, with hurdler Maggie Sullivan ’14 showcasing her technique. Pole vaulter Megan Erlandson ’12 revealed her quickness, as did Alex Dunn ’11.

Following the short sprinters were the long sprinters and their fall teammates, the distance runners. It was quite a race, as they were thrown into a 1200, the slowest pace the long sprinters had yet run and the fastest pace of the season for the distance runners. 

Simone Childs-Walker ’12 took the lead from the gun, followed by Kaitlin Randolph ’12.  There was a fight off the line for the next few spots, but it was settled by the end of the first turn. Childs-Walker kept the lead, pulling away from Randolph in the last few laps. 

Alison Smyth ’12, Haley Johnson ’13, Taylor Ffitch ’12, and Sarah Trautman ’13 worked together throughout the race, with the last lap determining the finish order. Trautman pulled out her wheels to zoom by the other three in the last 200m, proving herself a force to be reckoned with.

The rest of the meet consisted of a 200m sprint and some mile pace 400s for the distance runners. They were a bit excited from the 1200, but calmed down by the end.

At the end of the day the sprinters and long runners joined together for a 4x400m relay. The veterans gave the rookies a quick five-second rundown of relay exchange procedure and then the runners took to the starting line. Carrie Harshbarger ’13 showed that she has some turnover and Johnson and Randolph looked as beautiful as ever.

If you want to see these athletes in action, tonight’s your chance! The team is hosting Hamline and St. Olaf at the Rec Center in the first competition of the season.  The meet kicks off at 5:30  p.m. and will go until 9:00 p.m., so if you can stop by to support the team, please do!

Alison Smyth is a member of the women’s track and field team