2009-10 marks record year for Carleton faculty grants

<hool year was a historically successful one for Carleton faculty grant applicants. In a record-breaking year, College faculty members received 29 grants from external sources worth a total of $585,582 in support for their research and teaching.

The 29 faculty grants bested the previous high for the College, a record of 22 grants in 2003-04.

“We have a great faculty here, and they are not only really committed teachers, but they’re serious and thoughtful scholars and artists,” President Steven Poskanzer said it shows our “faculty being very forward-looking, not only in their individual scholarship but in terms of identifying these fields in which we want to go.”

The 23 different faculty members are from 15 different departments. Approximately forty percent of the grant money ($230,000) went to faculty in the arts, literature and humanities departments, while the remainder went to faculty in the sciences, math and social sciences.

The record-breaking year was further marked by a high success rate for faculty grant applications. Over a third of the grant proposals submitted by College faculty were approved. By comparison, less than a quarter of last year’s grant applications were awarded with money.

Given the tough economic conditions, this year’s achievement is especially notable.

The banner year, Poskanzer said, confirms Carleton faculty’s ongoing commitment to the valuable relationship between top-notch scholarship and top-notch teaching.

“This is a good example of our faculty’s scholarship and pedagogical teaching work drawing external support that is going to help make Carleton and even more vibrant place to learn,” he said.