Cross Country teams set for MIAC ‘Ships: Women ready to defend title

<men’s cross-country team has spent this week revving up for the MIAC Championships, which will take place tomorrow at Como Park in St. Paul. The Knights are the defending champions and look to protect their title.

Simone Childs-Walker ‘12 will lead the team. Childs-Walker finished second last year and looks to improve her placing by taking the individual title. The other returning All-Conference performer for the Knights is Taylor Ffitch ’12, who placed fifth at last year’s race and is the top returner behind Childs-Walker. Alison Smyth ’12 has been stalking Ffitch in workouts and hopes to improve upon her Swine Flu performance from last fall.

Emily Fritz-Endres ’11 has had a stellar fall, but has been interrupted by a fracture in her foot. She will be exercising her leadership from the side and helping the Knights’ key fourth and fifth runners.
It remains hard to say who those ladies will be, but Milana Socha ’14 has turned around her workouts this week and is looking for a strong race. Kaitlin Randolph ’12 will have an impact on the team standings. She spends the winter and spring developing speed on the track and the summer and fall working on her endurance, a deadly combination.

Keep an eye on Rachael Klehm ’13, who had an outstanding 3k last Saturday and has the aerobic base to transfer that performance to a 6k. Lauren Chow ’14 has been healthy and building all season. Rachel Kittaka ’12 has tapered significantly this week and is having a great season. Saturday should be no different.

Julie Besenbruch ’13 has joined Kittaka in the group of extreme taper. It should work out well. The next group of ladies has been working together all season and that sort of teamwork will be exponentially greater at conference. Brooke McManigal ’14 slipped as much as possible in the 3k so as to avoid any potential for that this week. Haley Johnson ’13 had an excellent 3k, demonstrating the power of her finishing kick. Aly Wisekal ’14 will appreciate the break from Smyth’s mole calculations and her enthusiasm will lead to a speedy time. Adrienne Bruder ’14, being a skier, knows how to use a downhill, which will play well into her finishing kick.

Carrie Harshbarger ’13 and Sarah Trautman ’13 have been workout partners lately and will hopefully sync up during the meet. Maddie Halloran ’14 and Claire Wilson ’14, the inseparable Watson-Dyad-Workout Duo, will push each other across the course and have many stories to tell afterward.
This team will take to the course determined and ready. It will also be grateful that the swine flu has not reappeared with the same force as last fall. The Oles will provide a challenge, the Tommies can never be counted out, and Bethel has some talent too. Carleton is ready, however, with its fuel, fire, and hot desire.

-Alison Smyth is a member of the women’s cross country team.