Flood causes $3.2 million in damage

<w that the waters have fully receded back into the Cannon River, Carleton has begun to address the extent of damage to the college and begun to replace and repair ruined items. According to an email sent out to Carleton staff, faculty, and students on October 8, the current damage estimate rests at $3.2 million, most of which should be insured.

The athletic teams on campus have felt the largest impact of the flood, as practice fields and game sites have had to be relocated. West Field was left with a layer of sediment across the entire field, making them unplayable. Work to remove the sediment from those fields will begin today and will result in the closing of the Arb parking lot in order to store equipment to help with the removal.

As a result of the sediment however, the football and men’s soccer teams have been forced to relocate to other fields to practice. The football team now practices on the lacrosse field by the Rec, while the soccer team practices on the IM frisbee fields behind the Rec. Those changes have led to a cascading effects for the various club sports teams on campus who had to change their practice times due to less field space.

In addition to the altered practice schedules, the football teams and volleyball teams have had to relocate their home games. This weekend’s Carleton-St. Olaf game has been moved to St. Olaf’s campus. The game will still be considered a home game for Carleton and thus there will be free admission. Also buses will leave from in front of Willis to transport students to the game. The following week’s game, against Macalester has also been relocated to Macalester Stadium in St. Paul.

Volleyball’s games have also needed to be relocated due to the flooding of West Gym. After a two and a half week hiatus, where they played home games at St. Olaf, the Knights were able to host a match at Cowling Gymnasium. The basketball and swimming teams, who also rely on West Gym have had their practices relocated to Cowling and the Rec.

The track teams, however, may have been hit the hardest as the track at Laird Stadium is completely ruined and will have to be replaced. It will take considerable time to assess how to replace the track, but for this year the track team will need to find somewhere else to train.

As for the students who were evacuated from Geffert, Wilson, Allen, and Prentice Houses, all but Allen and Prentice residents have been able to return. There was minimal damage to some drywall, and hot-water heaters needed to be replaced, but it was deemed that Geffert and Wilson were safe to return to.

It will take more time until all of the damage is cleaned and restored, but College officials have and will continue to work with insurance adjustors and restoration workers to return the facilities to their normal, working ways.

When originally printed, this article incorrectly stated that all students who had been evacuated from Geffert, Wilson, Allen and Prentice Houses had been able to return to their rooms. Only Wilson and Geffert residents had actually been able to return as Allen and Prentice Houses still have mold in them, which is making them currently unsafe for students. See the October 22 flood update story, “Flood damage estimate increases,” for more information.