Women’s track has success at St. Mary’s

<st week the women’s track team drove down to Winona, Minnesota to test out the site of the 2010 MIAC Championships.  The track proved to be quite nice in a beautiful setting with the biggest hills I have ever seen in Minnesota.  However, that was not what was foremost on the minds of the Knights competing that day.

The day kicked off with a rain delay and then the commencement of some throws and the 10k.  Taylor ffitch ’12 won the 10k, setting a new track record and besting her nearest female competitor by over 1 minute.

Unfortunately, she was unable to beat any of the boys in the co-ed race.  Shortly following that race, the 4x100m relay took to the track, displaying the best handoffs this team has seen in a long time.

At the same time, spears were being tossed on a nearby field.  Many of Carleton’s throwers had personal bests at the meet, including Rachel Gottesman ’12 who qualified for finals in the javelin in only her second competition ever.  Kelly Lovett ’11, did not have a personal best, but she did place 3rd in the event, so she’ll take it.

Going back to the track, other impressive performances were turned in by the sprinters in addition to the 4×100.  Brooke Granowski ’13 literally pulled her coach off the ground in a frenzied state of excitement after breaking the 60 second mark in the 400m for the first time ever.  In a race the same distance, but with some objects called hurdles in the way, Kaitlin Randolph ’12 dropped 3 seconds off her best time, placing second in the event.  In the 200m Amy Elson ’10 had a personal best time and Kelsey Donald ’10 ran her fastest time since her freshman year.

Those people who choose to classify themselves as mid-distance runners also had a strong day on the track. Both Claire Karban ’13 and Haley Johnson ’13 improved their times in the half-mile run, clocked at 2:27 and 2:25 respectively.  Laurel Orr ’13 also improved her time in the 1500m, despite a harried warm-up following the rain delay.

The rain also caused the pole vault to be held inside, but that proved to be no problem for Megan Erlandson ’12.  She bettered her own school record by 1 centimeter, tying for second in the event.

This week the Knights will take off for Gustavus Adolphus, tweaking their performances to set themselves up for success heading into the last competitions of the season.

-Alison Smyth is a member of the women’s track team.