SWArticle: Alcohol and spring term

<reational alcohol consumption usually comes with numerous quick tips on how to help your friends and yourself stay safe. Here are a few Spring Term specific tips.

Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it dehydrates the body. This is especially dangerous in hot weather. If you choose to consume alcohol while staying outside in the direct sun for multiple hours and/or participating in activities that will involve a lot of perspiration, drinking water is even more vital to staying safe. Stay hydrated by keeping a water bottle with you throughout the day and when you go out at night. Consider switching every other drink for a nonalcoholic, and preferably water based, beverage.

Historically, the number of events involving alcohol increases during Spring Term. Choosing to indulge in alcohol use at everyone of these events is likely to end in disaster both physically, socially, and academically. Try to space out the nights on which you choose to drink instead of drinking several nights in a row. This allows adequate time for your body to recover, keeping sleep cycles, energy levels, and likely productivity levels.

Spring Term is also notorious for special events during which alcohol is available all day, starting early in the morning. When attending these events, keep in mind all factors that determine how alcohol affects your body (sleep, food, water, gender, weight, etc). Get sleep the night before, eat a good breakfast, and keep drinking water while you’re out in the sun all day. Finally, try to monitor how long you have been drinking. The amount of time you are out in the sun should be limited (also don’t forget to use sun block), and since it helps control the rate at which you in take alcohol (the liver can metabolize about one drink per hour).

It may seem trivial and mudane to keep these considerations in mind, but it is the best way to enjoy recreational alcohol consumption and avoid a dangerous situation for you and your friends.