Caught in the ACT: Get involved over miderm break

<y is upon us! Overnight tonight the April showers will cease and May flowers will spring up all over campus. Hope you’re excited to see that tomorrow morning! You’re probably going to want to spend lots more time outside enjoying the fresh air and those beautiful flowers, and ACT has a number of ways for you to experience the outdoors while making a positive impact on your community.

Do you like to play kickball? Who doesn’t? Why not play or volunteer at a kickball tournament on Sunday? It’s midterm break, so Sunday is the new Saturday! The SWAs are hosting “Kick for Hope,” a kickball tournament that will benefit Peace House Africa, a nonprofit in Tanzania that operates a children’s home, a scholarship program, and a secondary school. The tournament begins at 1pm on the fields behind the Rec Center. For more information or to volunteer email [email protected] or go to go.carleton.edu/swa.

Maybe you’re not as into the kickball thing, but you love the Arb. It’s really beautiful this time of year. Volunteer for Arbor this spring! You can help with seed collection, seedling planting, and other projects! Contact Jonelle Carrera today for more information or to sign up!

Seen a lot of junk in the Cannon lately? Not going swimming or canoeing for fear of being capsized by an errant hubcap? Help clean that up! Adopt-a-River volunteers work with SOPE (Student Organization for the Protection of the Environment) to clean up trash in and along the Cannon. Get in touch with either Jesse Rothman or Adrienne Wilber to get involved!

So excited about these opportunities that you can hardly wait to get started? You can clean up the river, pull buckthorn in the Arb, or volunteer at local parks on Monday of midterm break with Carls in the Community! The event is from 1pm to 3pm and you can sign up at csa.carleton.edu.

We hope you take advantage of these great opportunities to help your community while having a good time outside! Get a bunch of your friends together and sign up today! For more information on these programs and more, stop by the ACT Center and keep watching Caught in the ACT for updates!