Caught in the ACT: Cuts for Cancer

<ught in the ACT

Cuts for Cancer

ACT is once again organizing the Cuts for Cancer event this spring.  It will take place on Monday, April 26, from 9-5 pm in the Great Hall.  This 5th annual Cuts for Cancer event is designed to raise awareness about cancer and cancer treatments, raise financial donations to give to organizations devoted to cancer research, and provide hair for those suffering from long-term or permanent hair loss.  Around fifteen local stylists (from Great Clips, Studio 300, Buzz, Fantastic Sam’s, Salon Synergy, Luis Enrique, and Heads or Nails) donate their time to give haircuts to students, staff and faculty in order to raise money for the Ted Mullin Memorial Fund at the University of Chicago. Ted Mullin was a member of the class of 2006 who died of cancer.

The memorial fund benefits pediatric cancer research. There is a suggested donation for a haircut.  You will also be able to donate your hair to Locks of Love. Last year, this event raised $2,264.55 for the Ted Mullin Memorial Fund and over 20 people donated their hair to Locks of Love!

You can help us make this year’s event even more of a success if you:
– Donate your hair 
– Shave your head in support of someone who has battled with cancer
– Make a pledge for a friend
– Get a trim or cut to donate money to cancer research 
– Volunteer on the day of the event (greet people as they come in, be a runner, serve as a receptionist, or help with setup or cleanup)

-Contact Liv Kileen, the ACT Center Student Coordinator organizing this event, for more information about the event, how to donate your hair or how to volunteer during the day of the event.