Cold weather, hot stories: News recap, winter 2010

<eratures and rigorous schoolwork usually characterize winter term, but big news doesn’t hibernate. Here’s what we were talking about, and what we’re looking forward to this spring.

•    Evans renovations get the go-ahead, then not: After the college-contracted architects revealed illustrated designs for the seemingly immanent Evans renovation early this term, financial constraints forced the board of trustees to reconsider. The project looks on track for a 2011 construction start date.

•    CSA Senate changes election structure: Upper-class representatives will no longer dominate Senate as the body approved a new class-year based election system. In the first widely contested election under the new—sometimes controversial—system, Jinai Bharucha was elected CSA President.

•    Knights basketball stuns St. Thomas and Gusties: Despite a 3-7 start, Carleton’s men’s basketball team lit fire, winning its first conference tournament title. The team travels to UW-Stevens Point for D-III NCAA tournament on Saturday.

•    Arts Union renovation gets big push from alumni donors: Barbra and Wally Weitz committed the largest nominal family gift in Carleton history to jump start renovation of the old Northfield Middle School.

What to watch for this spring:

•    Presidential Search: President Oden is scheduled to retire this summer, so expect a decision and announcement of the college’s next leader sometime this spring. We’ll be watching for any brash, lame duck activity from the west offices of Laird.

•    Alcohol policy review: The college has already unveiled a new alcohol policy for staff and institutional campus events, and student life staff have confirmed that a committee will form next term to review the student alcohol privileges. We’ll be watching how the discussion looks at campus sponsored events like Mai Fete and Rotblatt. 

•    Spring concert acts: Will tough financial times mean that the Malt-O-Millionaires will headline spring concert? We doubt it, but keep your eyes open for the announcement early spring.