Childs-Walker sets mile record at U of M

<men’s track team traveled up to the University of Minnesota last weekend to take on competitors of all NCAA divisions in the last few weeks leading up to the conference championships.  It was quite an impressive display of the team’s talent, as six women moved up in the standings of the All-Time Top 10 list at Carleton.

The meet (for Carleton, anyway), kicked off with the high jump.  Kyla Walter ’11 would jump an impressive 4’11”, placing third of MIAC competitors.

After the 60m dash, an unusual event for MIAC competitors, (which, regardless, many Carleton runners used to move up the MIAC performance list for the 55) the mile run started.  Simone Childs-Walker ’12 demonstrated her leg speed by placing second and dipping under the 5:00 minute-mark.  Her time bettered the old school record, set by Katherine Wingert ’08, by just over 4 seconds.  Also coming in near the old school record was Laura Roach ’10 and her time places her at 23rd in the country at this time.

Other impressive performances came during the 800 meter run, as Kaitlin Randolph ’12 ran a 2:19 to squeeze between Roach and Clare Franco ’12 on the All-Time Top Ten list.  Also in that 800 were Haley Johnson ’13 and Claire Karbon ’13 running the first races at that distance of their collegiate careers, and quite well, I might add.

At half that distance, Franco placed 5th in the 400 meter dash (2nd of MIAC competitors), running a low 58.  Also running well in the quarter-mile was Alex Dunn ’11, continuing to lower her personal best for that distance.  Running an even shorter race, Brooke Granowski ’13 managed to run a low 27 in the 200 meters, despite a quick pre-meet trip to the ER.  I guess she’s healthy.

Included in the group of people that had slightly unconventional pre-meet routines last Saturday was Amy Elson ’10.  After taking her comps test she drove up to the meet and promptly improved her indoor best in the triple jump, taking 6th in the event.  Also coming to the meet post-test was Nikki Reich ’10.  Despite the difficulties of running in a fast heat, she lowered her season’s best in the 3k.  The next heat was quite fun to watch, as Shannon Mueller ’12 took control of the pace and challenged others to run with her.  Mueller continued to fight as others responded to her pace, “others” including Sameena Ahmed ’12 who lowered her 3k best by 33 seconds.

The meet concluded with the 1600 meter relay, as the Knights ran a 4:11, without 400m super-star Franco, that should get them on the All Time Top Ten list.  More impressive, though, will be the Distance Medley Relay that the Knights have put together for tonight’s Pre-MIAC meet at St. Olaf.  Comprised of Roach, Franco, Randolph, and Childs-Walker, it will be a race you shouldn’t miss.  The gun goes off at 4:15 and I hope to see you cheering them on at St. Olaf’s Tostrud Center.

-Alison Smyth is a member of the Women’s track team