The case for inner beauty

“Don’t judge a book by its cover” is what I always used to hear whether I was talking about books or people.

What I later realized was that it is inevitable to judge a book by its cover. We are human beings, and we all have impressions of people or things based on looks. It happens automatically, and we can’t prevent it. Although appearances matter, in the long run, what is truly important is what is inside. That sounds really cheesy, but it is nothing but the truth.

When we talk about books, of course, covers matter. An author must have some type of appealing book cover in order for the reader to pick it up and read the summary. It needs to pop out and grab the reader’s attention whether it be through its bright colors, mysterious cover, an exotic image or its aesthetic.

For instance, I would have never read or even picked up Frankenstein if it weren’t for my high school teacher. The cover was black and white with a giant machine with lightning coming out. It looked really old, and right away I thought I wouldn’t enjoy it, but my teacher told me to read it for a class project.. After reading it, I can tell you that it was an amazing book. The plot was really interesting, and I learned a few new things. Did you know that Frankenstein isn’t the monster? Frankenstein, in fact, refers to the doctor, Victor Frankenstein,  who created the monster. I digress, I would have never known that Frankenstein was a wonderful book if it weren’t for my teacher’s suggestion.

It is also important to remember that books get awards for what is written not for what is seen on the outside. At the end of the day, the content is what really matters, even though the cover plays a huge role in first impressions.

The same could be said about relationships. You will never know what a person is like based on their appearance. However, it is understandable to like someone based on their looks. Something about that person has to attract you in order for you to go out of your way to talk to them. And yet again, what’s inside is the most important thing about a person. Someone who wears the latest new shoes and has luscious hair could seem attractive but can be a total douchebag when you get the chance to talk to them.

Of course, relationships are a little more complicated, but essentially it’s the same idea as judging a book by its cover. A person must be somewhat appealing whether it be through physical characteristics or their sense of clothing style. These people grab others attention and are given a chance to show their personality. I would have to say that personality matters the most in a relationship, but people have to attract a certain attention before being given that chance.

When I first met my ex-boyfriend, I thought he was attractive, which was part of the reason why I started talking to him on a friend level. I didn’t think we were going to end up together but after getting to know him more, I knew I wanted to be in a relationship with him because he was a very sweet and caring guy. Most relationships, I would say, go like that. In the end, the thing that matters is personality, not so much what you see on the outside. If you solely base a relationship on physical attractiveness, it most likely calls for a failure.

I’m certainly not saying that all attractive people have awful personalities, but that a person with an admirable personality goes a long way in a relationship. But of course, don’t forget that in fact, humans do judge a book by its cover. Therefore, don’t forget to dress to impress every once in a while because appearance does matter for first impressions.