Formal apology for the last crossword

Dear readers of the Carletonian,

I would like to take this opportunity to formally apologize on behalf of the entire Carletonian editorial team for the mistakes made in the Carletonian’s last crossword puzzle. We were unaware of the hurtful connotations of several words that ended up in the puzzle and did not intend for them to cause harm to any members of our beloved Carleton community. We hear your complaints, and after careful consideration of our internal policies on such matters, we have decided to retract and destroy all copies of that issue. In addition, crossword architect Billy Bratton has been banned from further contributions to the Carletonian, expelled and thrown into the river. We believe that these measures are in the best interest of the groups that were affected by our insensitive actions, and we promise to do better in the future.

Going forward, our crossword puzzles will be scrutinized by an impartial third party for any material that may cause issues such as these. We are working closely with the student body and the Carleton Student Association to interview and hire staff that share in our vision of equity, inclusivity and diversity in puzzle-making. We will send updates as we make these long overdue changes to our organizational structure. 

In the spirit of taking full accountability for our actions, we would like to issue our apologies to the various groups that were harmed by the last edition. To the Druids of Carleton, CUT D3 Frisbee Team, Editorial Team of the CLAP, Allison Byerly, Dining Hall Student Workers, Residents of Musser Hall, the Ballroom Dance Team, Bill North, Association of Carls from Arctic Regions, Carleton Recreational Surgery Club, Invest Carleton, Economics Majors and our dear readers, we offer our most heartfelt condolences if you were hurt by our irresponsible publishing. We hope that this does not change your image of this newspaper or the hard-working staff and editors who deliver quality news to the students of this college. We will continue on the difficult road of regaining your trust by continuing to do our due diligence and handling these situations before they reach newsstands. Thank you for your continued support and feedback.