The Career Corner

<yles is one of the most trafficked areas on campus. Mailboxes, Snack Bar, Bookstore, and Campus Activities are all inside, not to mention that it’s on the way to Burton, Davis, and the Dining Hall. Yet for all the times you’ve walked past the ACT Center, how many times have you gone downstairs to the Career Center? Odds are, probably not many. After all, you’re not worried about a career. You’re worried about your midterm next Tuesday. But I’m here to tell you that the Career Center is changing. There are plenty of reasons to walk down those stairs to the Career Center.

The Career Center doesn’t want to make you take on their idea of what a career is. Rather, the staff here has been working hard over the last few years to change the Career Center model, to give you support and experience so that you can do what you want to do. You can interact with the Career Center in a variety of ways, through one-on-one meetings with Career Counselors and staff, short talks with student Career Advisors, or just using the services available online. The Career Center wants to adapt to your schedule and interests, and is offering new programs every year to make that happen.

Now, say you’ve got your career plans figured out, your resume is flawless, you’re being hired out to give career seminars. The Career Center is one of the only places in Sayles with couches, computers, and candy. The Career Center isn’t just a resource for your career, we’re here to support you in any way you can. The next time you need a quiet place to study on your own or with a group, remember the Career Center. Not to mention that you won’t have to deal with the incredibly slow printer in Upper Sayles.

These are just some of the ways the Career Center can help you. If you’ve never been, stop by, particularly on Fridays for some free cheese. Come find out what we can do to help you, and let us know what help you need. The only way we can improve, is to help each other.