Women’s cross country wins MIAC

<body, and I mean NOBODY, could have predicted the outcome of Saturday’s race at Como Park, but Carleton’s women’s cross-country team isn’t complaining. They outran Bethel University 65 to 91 to win the 2009 MIAC Championships.

The Knights had to battle not only the other competitors on this day, but illness as well, as the team has found itself embroiled in the campus-wide germfest. The team could only run 13 of its 19, but perhaps this stat underscores the fact that the team’s strength lies in its spirit, not its talent.

Simone Childs-Walker ’12 was the first Knight to finish, placing 2nd in the field. She was shortly followed by Taylor ffitch ’12, who finished 5th in a spectacular race, shaving nearly 20 seconds off her previous best time. Laura Roach ’10 placed 8th in the race, securing three-time all-MIAC status.

Alison Smyth ’12 finished 21st, a solid score for the Knights. Key to the victory were Irene Koplinka-Loehr ’10 and Nikki Reich ’10. The seniors worked together throughout the race, nearly catching Smyth and keeping St. Thomas’s 5th from scoring too few points relative to Carleton.

Kaitlin Randolph ’12 and Emily Fritz-Endres ’11 were another pair working together to push up the scores of other teams. It is notable that Fritz-Endres shaved over a minute off her time from the previous year, despite the fact that last year’s course was much faster. In another example of the team’s packing, Laura Sofen ’10 and Rachel Kittaka ’12 pushed each other throughout the race in a true example of running for the team despite individual setbacks. Both racers have had to be extremely conscientious of their bodies in order to prevent injury and their cares paid off in the opportunity to race in the conference meet.

Laura Karson ’13 was the next Knight across the line, finishing in a new personal best. Sarah Trautman ’13 had a solid race for the team and Carrie Harshbarger ’13 put forth a great effort despite having to deal with illness.

The next event for the team will be the NCAA Division III Central Region Championships in Grinnell, Iowa on Nov. 14 where the Knights will look to earn a bid to the NCAA National Championships. In the meantime, please keep your viruses and bacteria away from the runners. Thanks.