Women’s XC wins Running of the Cows

<st week the women’s cross-country team hosted Winona State University and Cornell College at the Running of the Cows. The Knights won the meet, as well as taking home the individual titles of “Reserve Champion” and “Grand Champion.” They don’t call it the Running of the Cows for nothing, as also evidenced by the presence of not one, but two, cows on the starting line. Hopefully you were there and already know all the details, but in case you missed the home meet, here’s a recap.

Simone Childs-Walker ’12 had a rather lonely race, although Laura Roach ’10 did her best to give Childs-Walker some company. These two finished so far ahead of the next racers that Alison Smyth ’12 had the opportunity to put a whole new meaning into the term “home field advantage.” Smyth placed 3rd in the race, edging some visiting racers who took a wrong turn.

Next for the Knights was the pack of Kaitlin Randolph ’12, Emily Fritz-Endres ’11, Irene Koplinka-Loehr ’10, Shannon Mueller ’12, and Nikki Reich ’10. As an opposing racer, I would not be able to imagine anything more intimidating than watching this incredibly strong group of women pass me.

Laura Sofen ’10 and Carrie Harshbarger ’13 worked together to continue their recent stretch of amazing races. In hot pursuit was Haley Johnson ’13, who has been observed to have quite the finishing kick.

Sameena Ahmed ’12 used her last regular season meet to try out a new race strategy and, boy, did it pay off. She ran nearly a minute faster than her previous best, which was set only last weekend in Wartburg. Wow! Working with Ahmed were Sarah Trautman ’13 and Karl ’13, who themselves had times close to their personal bests.

The cross-country team will not race this weekend, but will use it instead to prepare for the MIAC Championships. The conference championships will be held on Saturday, October 31 at Como Park in St. Paul.