News Briefs

<ong>Professor Pierre Hecker to lecture on Shakespeare’s “Measure for Measure”

Pierre Hecker of the Carleton College Department of English will discuss William Shakespeare’s famous play, “Measure for Measure” in the Gould Library Athenaeum at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, October 21. Hecker’s presentation coincides with the Carleton Player’s production of “Measure for Measure,” which will be performed Friday and Saturday, October 30-31 and November 6-7, at 8 pm in the College’s Arena Theater. Both the lecture and the performances are free and open to the public.

“Measure for Measure” is one of Shakespeare’s best-known comedies, centering on the events in Vienna when the good but lenient Duke takes leave of his post, entrusting it to the far stricter and more moralistic Lord Angelo. The drama of the play revolves around the fate of Claudio, who is jailed under the new regime for impregnating his unmarried lover. The plot contains the mistaken identities and numerous characters in disguise that are typical of a Shakespearean comedy, but it is known as a more problematic play than many of his other comedies because the protagonists are complex and embody significant vices along with virtues. Carleton’s production of “Measure for Measure” will be directed by Ruth Weiner, Class of 1944 Professor Theater and the Liberal Arts and Chair of Theater and Dance at Carleton.

Hecker, who holds a B.A. from Wesleyan, a M.F.A. in film from Columbia, and Ph.D. from Oxford, teaches courses on Shakespeare, the literature of the English Renaissance, drama in performance, screenwriting, genre fiction, and drama and film criticism.

Carleton students to present a night of David Ives’ One Acts

Carleton’s student-run theater company, the Experimental Theater Board, presents A Night of David Ives’ One Acts, on October 15, 16, and 17 at 8 p.m. nightly in the College’s Little Nourse Theater. These performances are free and open to the public.

David Ives, a Guggenheim Fellow in playwriting, is best known for his one-act comedies. A collection of these shows, “All in the Timing,” won the Outer Critics Circle Playwriting Award, and has the distinction of being the most performed show (after Shakespeare) in the 1995-96 season.). The four short plays to be performed at Carleton are “Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread,” “Foreplay, or The Art of the Fugue,” “Words, Words, Words,” and “English Made Simple.”