ACT prepares for annual Lighten Up garage sale

<bly, at the end of each school year, Carleton students have books, clothes and furniture they don’t know what to do with. Spare muffin tin? Tennis racket you don’t need anymore? At a loss of what to do with your extra goods?

On June 18 and 19, ACT, Residential Life and Carleton Facilities will host the annual Lighten Up Garage Sale in the West Gym. As they are packing up their rooms, students can donate items in good condition to the sale. Dropoff points are on the first floors of all dorms and in designated donation houses around campus. Any donation is accepted, but ideally items will be in good, gently used condition.

Last year, people began lining up outside West Gym beginning at 6 a.m. By the time the doors opened at 8 a.m., there was already a crowd of 150 individuals clamoring to get inside. As the doors swung open, people ran inside, scouring the 75,000-plus items that filled the gym.

The 2008 sale raised over $15,000 for local nonprofits. This amount is especially impressive considering that many items sell for $1. Three local nonprofits receive 100 percent of the profits from the sale, Northfield Union of Youth, Northfield Area Special Olympics and Project Friendship. Northfield Union of Youth is an organization that seeks to provide power and voice to area youth. All ideas for programs, projects and events are generated by the youth. Project Friendship is a mentoring organization for elementary school children.

According to Amber Cameron, the ACT Center Assistant Direction, “This sale is so important to both the Carleton and Northfield community. For Carleton, we are practicing sustainable, green recycling at its best. Items normally thrown in garage dumpsters are being sold at this garage sale. For the Northfield community, we are providing incredible funds to support three outstanding nonprofits and we are providing the opportunity for people to access good quality donated items for a fraction of retail costs.”

The sale will be held on Thursday, June 18 and Friday, June 19, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. in Carleton’s West Gym. If people have questions about the sale, they can contact the ACT Center or visit go.carleton.edu/ACT.