Carleton hosts conference on transportation

<iscussion of Northfield transportation was hosted in the Athenaeum last Tuesday. Attendees of the discussion spoke about the issues that they believe are important considerations in addressing the current state of transportation in Northfield. Among those invited were John and Larry Benjamin, owners and operators of Northfield Lines and Benjamin Bus; Chris Erickson, ENTS Educational Associate; Ann Zawistoski, Science Librarian; Ryan Erickson of Northfield Transit, and other transportation representatives from the community in addition to a number of Carleton Vanpool members. Carleton Vanpools have been founded in conjunction with Van-Go!, a service of the Twin Cities Metropolitan Council. Intended for faculty and staff who live in the Twin Cities, Van-Go! hopes to facilitate the creation vanpools between interested individuals.

The vanpool at Carleton was started by Eric Hinsdale, Library Technology Coordinator. Details of its finances were given. According to Zawistoski, the lease costs 80 dollars up front, which Eric had taken on his own. Each member, usually between 5 and 7 individuals, pays around 7 dollars. Carleton does not offer a tax-free plan for the vanpool.

“The vanpool evolved organically because it was naturally convenient for us,” said Zawistoski
St. Olaf has developed Ride Board, a website where anyone can create an online post looking for a ride or passengers. On the website, people advertise for rides everywhere, from Chicago to Colorado to St. Cloud to locations in Northfield.

The Benjamins commented that they were looking into a new line that would take people from Carleton and St. Olaf to the cities about three times a day. Plans have not been confirmed as they are waiting for data from a student survey.

The conversations about sustainable transportation at Carleton will continue as more possibilities for ridesharing develop.

For more information go to the Carleton Rideshare website: http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/rideshare/. This website was developed by Amy Wilson, ’08 for her Environmental and Technology Studies Senior Capstone project.