Choir concert celebrates master composers

<rleton College Choir will perform its final concert of the year on Saturday, May 23 at 8 p.m. in the Carleton Concert Hall. This special performance, commemorating the work of three master composers—Henry Purcell, George Handel, and Josephy Haydn—is free and open to the public.

2009 marks the 350th anniversary of Purcell’s birth, the 250th anniversary Handel’s death, and the 200th anniversary of Hadyn’s death. The Choir’s performance will feature some of these composers’ greatest chorale works, including Handel’s Dettingen Te Deum and Haydn’s Te Deum (For Countess Maria Theresa) (Hob. XXIIIc, No. 2). The concert will be presented by 30 Carleton Choir students and 20 professional orchestra members made up of Carleton faculty and staff. The program will also feature five student soloists: senior Raymonda Reese; sophomores Anna Newman, Amanda Savitt, and Leslie Miles; and first-year student Denis Griffis.

The Carleton College Choir is directed by professor of music Lawrence Burnett. Burnett has degrees in vocal music education, choral conducting, choral pedagogy, and vocal performance, and Doctor of Musical Arts degree in choral conducting from the University of Texas at Austin. Burnett has performed extensively as a soloist in various settings, and has taught for more than three decades in both public schools and colleges. He is particularly interested in musicians and composers who have preserved the styles and traditions of African American spirituals.

The Carleton College Concert Hall is located at First Street and Winona Street in Northfield. For further information or disability accommodations call (507) 222-4475, or email [email protected].