A Carl’s Guide to Voting in Minnesota

Citizen Carl, you can vote in Minnesota – so let’s do it! Here’s some information to help you get started: 

1 Who Can Vote? Any U.S. citizen over the age of 18 who is actively enrolled and living at Carleton is considered a Minnesota resident by law and is thus eligible to vote here. The only exceptions are for those of you who vote at home (you can only vote once in each election) and those facing terms of felony convictions (you naughty thing).

2 When? November 8, 2022. If needed, you can request an absentee ballot to submit by mail (must arrive in mail by Nov. 8 or be handed in at Northfield City Hall), or you can vote early in person at City Hall (801 Washington Street). Early voting is currently open!

3 Where Do I Vote? Most Carls will vote at the First United Church of Christ (UCC) across from Weitz on 3rd and Union. However, you will vote across the river at St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (3rd St and Poplar) if you live in: Parish, Wade (Canoe), Douglas (Fish), Page, 216 College, Rice, Jones, Ryberg, Jewett or other off-campus housing West of Winona Street and south of 2nd Street.

4 Registration Everything works better if you can pre register, but rest assured that you can complete same-day registration at the polls (see below!). You can register at www.sos.state.mn.us. If you live on campus, your address should wind up with the street number as “0” and street name as your dorm name, e.g., 0 Goodhue Hall, Northfield, 55057. New students will all need to register to vote in Northfield. Returning students will need to reregister – unless you happen to live in the very same building as the last time you voted. Any move within campus housing counts as moving to a new address, so probably you need to do it anyway!

5 Check-in & What to Bring The college provides the state election board with a check-in list to help us identify current student citizens and where they live. This list does not mean that you are registered to vote and is never perfectly accurate or complete, which is why you should register yourself. Prepare to bring the following:

*OneCard: If you are registered and on the list, you will only need your OneCard. (Easy!)

*Tuition and residence statement: If you register same-day, including simply updating your address, your tuition statement for this term verifies you are a current student and housing assignment where exactly you live. The forms we are looking for can be found on the Hub under “Tuition, Fees, & Financial Aid” by clicking on “Account Activity,” and then “View Statement” or on the Hub under “Housing & Meal Plan” by clicking on “Housing Information.” And yes, you can show the digital copy on your phone! 

*Other photo ID: If your legal name differs from the name listed on your OneCard, we will need an additional document like passport or home state ID to verify your legal name. You can only vote under your legal name. 

*A friend: if there is any other unusual circumstance, you can have a registered voter attest your info on your behalf. It may just be best to go together anyway for ¡Fun Mode!

6 What Not to Bring Absolutely no campaigning is allowed inside or within 100ft of the building. That means cover up your candidate shirt, remove your campaign buttons, and no discussing the ballot in line, please!

7 Planning Strategize the timing of your visit to the poll. The morning historically has less waiting time, while dinnertime through closing tends to be the most crowded. Before class or in between classes could really help save you time.

If this helped, be sure to say hi. I’ll see you on Election Day!