Step it up and dance!

<r the first time on Carleton’s campus Greek Life meets Hip Hop. The Black Student Alliance along with Campus Activities is proud to present: Kappa Alpha Psi (U of M), Omega Psi Psi (U of M) and Creation Footworking (Chicago). These three groups along with our native Hip Hop group WHOA! will have a campus-wide performance next weekend.

An event that started out as simply an idea amongst friends, the need to diversify the forms of black expression on Carleton’s campus, has become a reality. The above performers will exhibit through dance various forms of black expression. For hundreds of years, dance has been an integral part of the African American community. Many may be acquainted with the popular Hip Hop dances of this era. However, Black Student Alliance wants to expose Carleton’s campus to dance forms that are not as prominent in the media today: Step and Footworking. These groups have committed to sharing their cultural experiences with the campus.

Kappa Alpha Psi is a college fraternity comprised of undergraduate and alumni participants. The fraternity is involved in philanthropic endeavors; particularly those serving African American communities. By promoting “achievement in every field of human endeavor” the organization plays an active role in fostering an upward trend in retention rates of black students within higher education.

Omega Psi Phi is also a college fraternity comprised of undergraduate and alumni participants. The fraternity’s fundamental principles of the organization are “manhood, scholarship, perseverance and uplift” and these principles have been the driving force behind the organization community uplifting efforts.

Creation Footworking similar to both University of Minnesota fraternities is invested in the empowerment of their surrounding community. Creation is a dance troop which started in the summer of 2000. Initially, it started as a battle group and then transformed into a beneficial entity in Chicago designed to give teenagers a positive form of recreation.
Everyone is welcome to come and enjoy the performance at Concert Hall on May 2, 2009 from 8:00pm- 9:00pm.

-Catrice Carter is a second-year student

Special thanks to Gina Allen, Campus Activities & BSA members