A fight to increase Minnesota’s grant program for higher education: An open letter from state official Terry Morrow

<th as an associate professor at Gustavus Adolphus College and as an Assistant Majority Leader in the Minnesota House of Representatives, I am dedicated to supporting higher education. This year, I have talked with students from virtually every private college in Minnesota. Your commitment to higher education is critically important to Minnesota. You offer hope that together we can sustain the rewarding jobs that fuel our economy and secure your future.

For 25 years, the Minnesota State Grant program has enabled and encouraged students to choose the college that best suits their needs. By offering a hand to low- and middle-income students, Minnesota remains true to its vision of education for everyone. This critically important tuition assistance helps students and families invest in the education that ultimately serves our entire state. Economists and business leaders consistently cite Minnesota’s educated workforce as one of our state’s essential economic assets.

To maintain this attractive advantage, we must maintain the investment. Students visiting the capitol this year have stressed the importance of the State Grant program. The federal recovery act offers an opportunity to increase Minnesota’s grant program by 25%. The House Higher Education Finance bill turns this opportunity into reality. It reduces the student share on tuition and increases funding for work study, living expenses, and more.

Over 80,000 students benefit from the Minnesota State Grant program. Please be assured that I will continue to advocate for this assistance and for higher education overall. Minnesota’s success and your future depend upon it.

Take care,

Rep. Terry Morrow
651-296-8634

-Terry Morrow is the Assistant Majority Leader in the Minnesota House of Representatives