Carleton hires Clark as new Director of Campus Activities

<rk, Carleton’s new Director of Campus Activities, is off to a good start.

Clark has not had long to adjust to Carleton life, this being his second Tuesday on campus, but already he said, “the students are all so engaging. They are passionate students. They really care about their experience in and outside of the class room. They care more than just about how to get an A on tests…. [they] want to make a difference and really value the true liberals arts experience.”

“And I think another thing I like is the level of respect that students receive here. In my option students are really listened to here and they are highly involved in what happens on campus and that is important to continue.”

Prior to coming to Carleton, Clark’s interest in working in student life began as an undergraduate at the University of Maryland College where he worked in student activities, Res Life, and student government. He continued on to graduate from Frostburg State University, where he received a degree in communications. He then attended graduate school at Indiana University of Pennsylvania for a degree in student affairs and higher education. He is currently a doctoral student at the University of Montana working on an educational leadership and law degree.

Clark has also had a number of jobs that have prepared him well for his position at Carleton. He worked at Indiana Univeristy of Pennsylvania in alumni affairs at the student alumni association, at Carroll College in Montana as a Hall Director and career counselor, and at Alaska Pacific University as Director of Res Life.

He said of these positions, “[They] gave me a broad experience in the field of student affairs….[working at a] variety of colleges…has given me a range of perspectives on how I can help the student sitting in front of me.”

As Director of Campus Activities at Carleton, Clark hopes to “play an important role…in providing the resource to students and student organizations. Campus Activities is more than just providing an outlet for fun activities; it provides an opportunity for students to get involved in all sorts of ways. Students leave here with an better understanding of their community, how they fit in that community, and what they can accomplish as well as who they are.”

Clark says what he looks forward to most is “Interacting with students and making a difference. When I set out looking for a job, it was high on my list for me to find a place where I could make a change but not get so high up the chain of command that I am stuck behind a desk. I want interaction with the students. I want to be accessible to students at all times.”

In the upcoming weeks, Clark plans to, “reviewing policies, procedures, and traditions…try to figure out who does what and how I fit in. Some big events [I am working on] are Mai Fet, spring concert, the drag show (Friday), filling assistant director of campus activities, [and] working closely with the cave staff.

In response to the short duration of Carleton’s previous Campus Activities Director, T.Todd, Clark said, “I see myself being here a long time. I like to be challenged and supported in my position.I understand the turnover and turmoil that has happened and I hope to provide some stability and get our open positions filled as quickly as possible…”

Clark thanks those who have helped welcome him to Carleton. “I appreciate everyone’s input and I encourage people to come by and see me and say hello. I look forward to helping people generate their ideas and move forward to accomplishing their goals outside of classes.”