St. Olaf to host 21st annual Nobel Peace Prize Forum

<f College will host the 21st Annual Nobel Peace Prize Forum, "Striving for Peace: A Climate for Change," March 6-7. Select elements of the event will be streamed live and archived online.

This year the NPPF is honoring the work of people committed to counteracting global climate change. In 2007 the Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel Peace Prize jointly to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and former Vice President Al Gore for their role in spreading awareness of human contributions to the current environmental crisis, and their continuing efforts to urge countries, corporations, organizations and individuals to take steps toward counteracting climate change.

IPCC contributing scientist Richard Alley will deliver the opening plenary address Friday, March 6, at 1 p.m. in Skoglund Center. Alley will speak on “Projecting Peace: The IPCC and the Science of Climate Change.”

Among the featured speakers at the two-day event are U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar and environmentalist John Francis.

Sen. Klobuchar has long been a leader on environmental issues, including renewable energy and combating climate change. She currently serves on five Senate committees that specialize in water quality, oceans, the atmosphere and public-sector solutions to global warming. Her talk, “It’s Time for Action on Climate Change,” will take place Saturday, March 7, at 10:45 a.m. in Boe Memorial Chapel.

Other speakers include Majora Carter, founder of Sustainable South Bronx, and Oxfam America Vice President James R. Lyons.

The two-day forum also will feature a variety of workshops and discussion sessions with topics ranging from the youth climate movement to science in the Siberian arctic.

Learn more about the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize Forum online, where you can register through Feb. 25. Attendance fees range from $5 for St. Olaf students to $40 for the general public.