SWArticle: Because (You) Got High; A Review of Carleton’s Alcohol and Drug Policy

<ugh this article’s intent is to inform students about the drug policy and protocol at Carleton, it is difficult to discuss without sounding “preachy.” Having recognized that, SWAs and The Wellness Center (TWC) present the following information about the “Policy” as well as resources available on campus. Please note, although alcohol is considered a drug, for the purposes of clarity, however, the two terms (drugs and alcohol) will be used separately in this article.

Carleton’s policy, “exists within the context of local, state, and federal laws.” Although there are some situations in which college authorities must report the presence or abuse of drugs on campus, others are dealt with solely by college officials. Obviously, the circumstances of each situation determine the outcomes and because these can vary, it is impossible to detail all possible outcomes here.

Of particular concern to college officials, as is evidenced in the wording of the policy, is the responsibility of a student to their community. It follows, then, that a situation involving drugs or alcohol that impacts the larger community will be dealt with more severely. Students who are in violation of the College policy will either meet with a Hall Director, Associate Dean or Vice President/Dean of Students.

TWC and the Chaplain’s office both provide confidential resources for students who need to talk about their own or their peers’ issues with drugs or alcohol. Professionals in both of these offices are not required to report drug or alcohol use.

The Wellness Center psychologists, in particular, specialize in assessments and referrals for students seeking information about drug or alcohol use. Assessments are a holistic approach to the individual, taking into account family and personal history, drug and alcohol use history, and secondary effects of drugs and alcohol.

SWAs are included in TWC’s “privacy bubble”; SWAs keep information private. A SWA may consult with a confidential TWC professional for guidance and support. In addition to the local Alcoholic Anonymous chapter, TWC is always open to starting a support group for people with drug or alcohol issues.

Above all, it should be stressed that drug and alcohol use are a community issue. Whether a student has personal issues with drugs and/or alcohol or if another student’s issues with these substances affect them – it is important to talk to someone in the community who can be of assistance. This includes SWA, RA, Hall Director, Wellness Center, etc. There are multiple opportunities and resources for every student, and the choice – to consume drugs and alcohol, and to seek help – is entirely up to you.

Please remember: “Carleton College is committed to promoting responsible behavior regarding the use of alcoholic beverages. As an educational institution, the College provides resources through which students are empowered to inform themselves about the physiological, psychological, and social effects of alcohol and other drugs about the individual and the community.”