A look at the eight winners of last weekend’s CSA elections

<an style="font-weight: bold">PRESIDENT:

McKay Duer: Class of ‘10

Duer has been a member of the CSA since last year. She is a current member of the Dining Board, governance committee, constitution review board, career center working group, and club sports council. As President of CSA, her top priority is to “Create an inter-group dialogue pilot for all incoming freshman,” especially in light of results of the Campus Climate Survey. She wants to help improve the effectiveness of the Career Center, as it underutilized but has much to offer Carleton’s student body. Duer also aims to finalize the P.E. credit issue for club sports and reevaluate the current transportation offered at Carleton. Duer says, “It really helps to have a body of supportive senators who are willing to work for these issues. I also hope to incorporate more student-involvement by tabling at Sayles.”

VICE-PRESIDENT

Jinai Bharucha: Class of ‘11

Bharucha has been a member of CSA senate and the Budget committee since her freshman year. This experience has given her an “inside vantage point on many of the issues and changes which are critical to all of our experiences at Carleton.” Some of Bharucha’s goals aim to make various available funds on campus publicly known, continue to support changes to the Wellness Center, establish an intergroup dialogue pilot program and maintain student-faculty-staff connections to the Campus Climate Survey.

SENATORS:

Eric Hitimana: Class of ’11

Hitimana currently works as a Residental Assistant on campus. Hitimana’s platform indicates that he considers himself open-minded, responsible and eager to promote the less-heard voices at Carleton. He says that his top priority at Carleton is to change the Wellness Center.

Moshe Lavi: Class of ’11
Moshe Lavi is an international student from Israel. As a prospective History and IR major, Lavi is most interested in initiating a forum to discuss Divestment of Carleton’s funds from the conflict in Sudan. In the past, he has chaired several organizations such as the Refugee Media Service, the “World Today” service, and has been an age-group leader in the Israeli Scouts (Tribe Sinai, Sederot).

Isaac Hodes: Class of ’12
Hodes is an enthusiastic member of both Model UN and the Forensics Debate teams. Although he has had no prior experience in student government, he is confident that he can bring his knowledge of debate and articulation to voice what students at Carleton want. A top priority for Hodes is the initiation of longer library hours and greater meal plan/meal replacement flexibility.

Heather Yang: Class of ’12
Yang is an international student from New Zealand and she has spent her high school years acting as a liaison between students and staff. With a solid background in administration work, she feels ready to work with the CSA senate. Yang’s focus will be greater transparency and engagement of the student body in the CSA’s resolutions.

Khant Khant Kyaw: Class of ‘11
Kyaw’s experiences at Carleton range from being an ASIA Club co-chair to being on the board of Multi-Cultural Alumni Network as a sophomore representative to participation in the women’s rugby team. A primary goal she will work on is to connect the community by encouraging participation and awareness of activities.

TREASURER:

Sarah Duane: Class of ‘11
Duane has worked on the Budget Committee since her freshman year. She says, “I really enjoy working with finances and budgeting so I’m glad to be Treasurer for the CSA.” In her years on the Budget Committee, Duane’s top priority as Treasurer is to ensure greater transparency and accessibility of the funds that the CSA has to offer. She plans to do so by promoting the use of Third-Center, Metro-Arts Access Fund, and Alt-Bev.