Horses come to campus — Carls say “yay” to “neigh”

If you were outside on Saturday, May 14, chances are you saw a horse.

Or shall I say, Saturday, neigh 14th?

Carleton’s Equestrian Club organized the horse and goat meet-and-greet. These horses came from the loving arms of a barn just 15 minutes away from campus, and they were kept right behind the library, by Lyman Lakes. Becca Riess ’23, President of Equestrian Club and the mastermind of this beloved campus tradition, said that this breezy location was the best spot for our visiting friends.

Kevin Chen ’23 and Aidan Jalili ’25 confessed that they “had not planned this chance encounter” with the horses. Both students experienced a form of “bliss” with “uplifted feelings” after petting the horses. But not every student was a natural. Carl Zhang ’23 disclosed that he “had no idea how to interact with them.” Intrigued, I asked him if he managed to figure it out. Zhang replied that the horse “really liked its neck stroked.”

Nearly three days after the event, students were still raving about the horses on campus. Angelina Pius ’24 exclaimed that “petting the horses [might have been the best part of my day.]” Although her encounter with the horses was also unplanned, she still took up the team on their offer to feed the horses some snacks, like apples. Angelina went on to say that she had a “delightful Saturday.”

As it turns out, students were allowed to pet the horses but not ride them. Students were also not allowed to make loud and sudden noises (such as yelling) due to the goats being of the fainting variety. When interviewees were asked if they felt stuck by these limitations, they all responded in the negative.

After following up with Riess about the chance of seeing the horses again, she responded that “anyone is welcome to join the Equestrian Club.” I thanked her for the offer, replying that I unfortunately graduate in a few weeks. But, I’m extending the offer to the student body. Perhaps the best way to celebrate a glorious spring day is with a four-legged friend.