Letter from Elouise Quinnell

<rletonian has obtained a copy of a resignation letter that Elouise Quinnel, former cashier at the East Dining Center, sent to Carleton. It is printed here in its entirety:

Dear Ms. [Hudlin] Wagner:

I am a retired farmer’s wife and my very first job outside of the house was to be a cashier/checker at Carlton [sic] College for the past 7 years. I have really enjoyed my job and the students I have met through the years are so great, which is why it is difficult, but necessary, to write this letter to you today.

Since Bon Appetit took over the food service this year, I have witnessed so many terrible new policies which have been put in place to obviously cut costs (because the food service which is now in place is certainly not for the benefit of the students of Carlton [sic] College). I’ve been asked to stop the students from bringing in their backpacks and purses – which many of them were very upset about. I suppose this is an effort to stop the students from bringing food out of the lunchroom. But what is wrong with a student grabbing their lunch and bringing an apple with them for later? As you know, many students spend their lunch time working and studying and their backpacks are a very important tool for them.

These are just a couple of the many things which upset me to the point that I quit my job as of the 15th of December. I love the students. They are really great. I worry what will be next in the name of savings [sic] some money and I do not want to be a part of any more of these silly policies.

Parents of these students pay very good money for their children to attend this fine college as well as the food program. They expect that their children will be fed and treated properly. The recent policies treat these students like they are criminals! They do not deserve the treatment they are receiving. After all, aren’t the students the reason the college is here?

Here’s a little advice…if you treat the students with love and respect they will return that love and respect back to you and you might even get a smile or two.

I will miss all the kids. I just thought you’d like to know.

Sincerely yours,
Elouise Quinnell